Sleep Under the Stars Overview
Sleep Under the Stars, 27 October 2017
Join us for a night sleeping under the stars beside the beautiful Sydney Harbour overlooking the Opera House on Friday 27th October to help raise funds for over 18 years old homeless and at risk youth.
After the tremendous success of our inaugural event last year, we have decided to make the Sleep Under the Stars an annual event. This is a great way to experience the reality faced by many of the 42,000 homeless youth in Australia. Plus you will raise awareness of this important issue and help Stepping Stone House provide a safe home and personal development for young people from all over NSW.
For more details, head over to our microsite HERE.
The 2016 Event Guide can be downloaded HERE A 2017 version coming soon.
Check out Amanda’s Stepping Stone House true story
Register as an individual or better still register as a team and get your family and mates to join in this FUN and memorable night. If you manage to be one of the top 10 teams or top 50 individual fundraisers then you will be amongst the special few with reserved camping spots with the best views in Australia. The higher your ranking the better your spot!
How it works?
It’s easy, this is how it goes:
- Register for the event at the Harbour Bridge and get heaps of people sponsoring you
- Check in from 6pm to 930pm on 27th Oct armed with a sleeping bag and a pillow (if you’re a softie)
- Kennards Self Storage and Kennards Hire will give you 6 large card board boxes each and 2 large tarps
- Build your awesome award winning individual or team cardboard shelter fort and make it watertight
- The judges will score your masterpiece of a shelter
- Prizes will be awarded for highest fundraisers, best shelters and best social media post
- Prizes include an apple watch, a fit bit, 4 Bridge Climb passes, 2 framed photos of the Bridge and 30 battery lanterns (all items kindly donated)
- Buy and tuck into a basic dinner from the food truck under the harbour bridge
- Roast marshmallows around the open fires whilst listening to Jake Howden (of The Voice fame)
- Retire to your cardboard shelter for a good nights sleep
- Rise to watch the stunning sunrise over the Opera House
- Enjoy a full fry breakfast
- Head home around 730am on Saturday 28th October
It’s as easy as that
Raise awareness via social media. It only takes a few seconds and use #sshsleepout2017
Additional Event Information
- Families and youth groups are very welcome
- 500 places are available for the public to sleep in a secure area right next to and under the Sydney Harbour Bridge
- People pay a lot of money to sleep in a location with this stunning view across the harbour 🙂
- We are aiming to raise a total of $170,000 at this event to fund the Stepping Stone House Semi Independent and Independent homes for a whole year
- The best designed cardboard shelter will win a single apple watch, a fit bit or other prizes for the teams and YES you can prebuild and bring your shelter with you if you’re really keen
- There will be a prize for the best photo posted on social media using #sshsleepout2017 and judged at 830pm on 7th Oct
- Sydney Harbour Foreshore Authority have approved this event
- Toilets will be available on site
- Security fencing will secure the whole event area
- Security guards will be patrolling the event area throughout the night
- No alcohol is permitted at this event
- Any aged person can attend this event. Under 18 year olds must be accompanied by a responsible adult.
- Areas can be cordoned off for youth groups on request eg Scouts and Guides
- Please bring minimal equipment to keep the experience authentic
- You can bring a bag of extra clothes and goodies but we ask that you don’t bring matresses and bed rolls. You will be surprised how comfortable 3 Kennards Self Storage boxes are as a make shift mattress
- If you have authentic back problems then yes you can bring an inflatable mattress
- Yes you can bring a small 2 or 3 man tent for use if it rains. Tents will be pitched in an area at the back. SHFA will not allow any tents over 1meter 20cms tall
- You can bring your own food if you wish. A complimentary breakfast will be provided
- Former homeless youth will speak and share their thoughts
- A VIP area will be set aside with the best view of the Opera House for the top 10 teams (max of 5 from your team) and top 50 individual fund raisers. Are you going to be one of those people who wake up to a million dollar view?
- If you have any questions contact us on firstname.lastname@example.org
- Every participant must be registered on line prior to arrival
- You will accept more detailed terms and conditions as you go through the registration process
- Overnight cheap meter parking is available overnight on the adjoining Lower Fort Street, The Rocks, NSW, 2000
- Be prepared for a lot of FUN and a thought provoking adventure
- Please fundraise hard, we need every cent you can raise
GET IN TOUCH