Young Endeavour Experience.

By Patrick Nalty.


During my time on the Young Endeavour, I came to realise what it was like to be a sailor on a sail ship. From the sea sickness, I got when we entered the open ocean, to the experience of climbing a mast. My sea sickness was overcome by the third day.

The constant swaying of the ship made it hard to eat in the galley (which is the eating area) as you had to juggle your food around. The food was worth the effort, very good.

The beds were not hammocks but bunk beds with enough room to just hit your head, I got the bottom bunk.

Every day we were woken up by terrible music being blasted through the microphones on the ship.

Example: Sink the Bismarck as sung by Johnny Horton which seems questionable, seeing as we were just waking up that morning on a ship.

During the trip, we outsailed a thunderstorm in the middle of the night as we went further past

Brisbane. There were also six cargo ships which were massive compared to our ship and we had the experience of sailing between them with roughly 100 metres each side, which is not that far when you see something that big.

We also went to a place called Little Manly which is next to Manly beach. We went ashore and had an hour to ourselves. During this hour I was able to experience what it was like to be on flat ground after being on a ship. I believe from this experience I know where the term “Drunken Sailor” came from. The adults on the ship had a few fishing rods with them and caught tuna, small fish and a shark that was about a meter long.

We spotted a whale, tonnes of dolphins and a few fighter jets flying over the ship; it sounded just like from the movies.

One day we went to the Jervis Bay military base. We were allowed to explore the base which is an active Navy training site which was really cool. I also took the time to notice that it seemed its population was 1000 kangaroos to every 10 people. The kangaroos also do not flinch at the site of a flying golf ball heading towards them from the local golf course.

Finally, on ANZAC day we had the honour of doing an ANZAC service with serving Military personnel.

Though this was not at dawn but at 8 am due to us, the crew being exhausted. We also had the honour of our Captain using a salute cannon made of brass with the date of 1837. Not only this but it also rained, but no-one moved a muscle until the end of the service.

When I came off the ship at the end of the trip, it really felt like I done something amazing. Thank you for letting me experience a once in a lifetime opportunity, to be one of the lucky few to be on board the STS Young Endeavour.